Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jacob 7- Omni

I liked these chapters. In Jacob 7, Jacob's confrontation with Sherem is awesome. I like how Jacob teaches us that all scripture testifies of a Redeemer, a True Lover, Jesus Christ. To profess to understand the scriptures but to deny the Christ shows a lack of knowledge. The Book of Mormon adds its testimony of Jesus Christ, revealing that all prophets have testified of the coming of a Messiah.

Enos' story is also very interesting. I like the idea that Enos prays mightily and receives a remission of his sins. But then he proceeds to pray for his people that they might have a knowledge of the Covenants of God. God covenants with him that they shall gain this knowledge eventually. That's even better. The fact that he was thinking about his brothers and sisters is a happiness.

I am searching for a scripture to put on my missionary plaque. So far I really like Matthew 25:40 (my all time favorite scripture) and a few others. Today I found a good possibility. It is Omni 1:26

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the HOly one of Israel, and partake of his slavation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and prayeing, and endure to the end,; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

I like the idea of giving our whole soul. Joseph Smith taught that the soul is the body and the spirit. So in a sense, we are asked to give our all to Christ. We are called upon to give Him the physical and the things that transcend the physical.

1 comment: