Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Remember the Covenants-3rd Nephi-2-6

There are a couple interesting things from these chapters. Obviously, the mention of the coming of one Jesus Christ, to redeem the world, is a notable one. The repentance of the Nephites is also rather notable. My favorite part, however, is the insert of Mormon.

When Mormon went through and edited the Book of Mormon, he occasionally added some of his own commentary. I like his commentary about the Covenants of Israel and how they shall, in time remember their God, who is Jesus Christ. I really like this image of Jesus Christ as the Messiah who will come in a red robe and as the God who led the Israelites out of captivity. I feel like it's a wonderful connection. God doesn't just deliver us from physical oppression, He rescues us from spiritual oppression.

I would call the Book of Mormon many things after today- the textbook of the atonement (thanks Bro. Parrish), (from now on my own inventions) The Book of the Covenants of the Lord, The Book of Repentance and Redemption, Mercy and Justice: A Case Study, The Big Book of Consequences, and The Book of Christian Living. I love the Book of Mormon now more than ever, despite it's theological quandaries that I don't understand, there's beauty in its simplicity, in its theology.

1 comment: